☎ Emergency After Hours Phone Number: (509) 926-9800
Modern Electric Water Company,
a customer owned utility, strives to provide reliable and efficient electric and water services at the lowest possible cost. Since 1905, Modern Electric Water Company, a customer-owned, not-for-profit utility, has worked diligently to provide dependable, and cost-effective ways to serve our customers. Our goal is focused on providing the best possible service at an affordable cost. We work hard every day to serve you by following a simple, yet powerful, philosophy that focuses on doing what is best for our customers, as you are the reason we are here.
Service Application Form
Click here to get the Service Application Form. Just fill out this form and return it to us and get started with your service today.
Automatic Payment Enrollment Form
Make sending your payment hastle free by setting up reccuring automatic payments for your Water and Electric Bill
Customer Information Guide
All of our most important information can be found here. Feel free to print and save a copy for your reference.
How do I start electric service for a property that I am renting?
Stop by our office at 904 North Pines Road and complete a service application (photo ID is required). Alternatively, the property owner or property manager can email an application for you to Serviceapp@modernelectricwater.com.
How do I start service for a home I have purchased?
Ownership changes for property sales must be requested in writing only from a title company or other closing agency. Requests can be emailed to Serviceapp@mewco.com. Please include the occupancy status of all rental property.
How do I sign up to view my account information or pay my bill online?
Log onto modernelectricwater.com and create an account using your statement ID number and the account number from your bill.
How do I change my online account’s password or email address?
After you are logged in to Modern’s Online Account Manager, you may change your password or email address by clicking on the Account Management option on the left side of the screen. You may also call our office at (509) 928-4540, extension 1, during regular office hours for assistance.
I signed up to receive email notifications. Why haven't I received an email from Modern?
What Is Whitelisting?
Email Notices, Transactional Emails, and Email newsletters often end up accidentally being sent to the spam folder in your email, even though you signed up for them! To avoid this, you need to “whitelist” the sender, but this is different for each separate email program and service.
For Modern Electric Water Company customers
The solution is to tell your email program (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook etc.) that mail from mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com, Modern Electric Water Company, is not spam. To do this you need to add the email notice or newsletter sender’s email address to a “whitelist”.
The method varies slightly depending on which email provider or program you use.
Always Whitelist Important Emails in Your Spam/Junk Mail Folder
If you find an important email in your spam folder that is not spam, always take a moment to mark it as “not spam” or “not junk”, this automatically let’s your email program add the sender to the whitelist.
Configure your email service or client from this list:
How to Whitelist Gmail:
- First, if you find email from mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com in your Gmail spam folder, select our email and click the “Not Spam” button
- Next, open an email that you have received from us
- Click on the little down-pointing-triangle-arrow next to “Reply”:
- Click “Add mewco.com and modernelectricwater.com to Contacts list”
How to Whitelist Yahoo Email / How to Whitelist Modern Electric Water Company/ How to Whitelist ATT.net Email:
You must set up a “filter”, but first:
- If you find email from mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com in your “Yahoo! bulk” folder, open the email and click “Not Spam”.
- If you find mail from mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com in your “Blocked Addresses” list in “Settings”, select the email and click “Remove Block”.
Now to create the filter:
- Open Yahoo! Mail and click on the Gear and select “Settings” in the upper right-hand corner or “…More” icon in the Nav bar.
- Select “Filters” (in the bottom left corner), or select “Filter Emails Like This…”
- On the Filters page, click “Add”
- Select the “From header:” rule and add “contains” and add “mewco.com and modernelectricwater.com”.
- Click the “Choose Folder” pull down menu and select “Inbox”.
- Pick the Add Filter button or “Save”
How to Whitelist AOL.com Email:
You must add mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com to your AOL address book as follows:
- Search for email from us in the Spam folder. If you find an email in the Spam folder, then open it and click the “Not Spam” button.
- Click the Contacts link (or open your AOL Address Book)
- Click the +New button.
- In the New Contact window, mewco.com into the ‘Primary E-Mail 1’ field
- Click Another email, and enter modernelectricwater.com into the E-Mail 2 address
- Click “Create”
How to Whitelist AOL Email Client:
New Subscribers: add the “From address” to your AOL address book:
- Click the Mail menu and select Address Book.
- Wait for the “Address Book” window to pop up, then click the Add button.
- Wait for the “Address Card for New Contact” window to load.
- Once loaded, cut and paste the from email address into the “Other E-Mail” field.
- Make our from address the “Primary E-Mail” address by checking the corresponding checkbox.
- Click the Save button.
Existing Subscribers: If you are already a subscriber but the email isn’t getting through, the email may be in your AOL Spam Folder. Open web mail and look in your Spam Folder. If your find our email in your spam folder open it and click the “This Is Not Spam” button. Then add the “From address” onto your Address Book as outlined in the “New Subscribers” instructions above.
How to Whitelist Office 365:
We receive automated emails from a domain other than the one we use for staff and some of these emails were getting misidentified as spam and moved to people’s Junk Email folders in Outlook. So, we needed to whitelist the domain so that any emails originating from there would bypass the spam filter.
- In the Exchange admin center click on Mail Flow.
- Next create a new rule by clicking on the + icon and click Bypass spam filtering…
- Select on the *Apply this rule if… for the sender… domain is
- Add the domain you wish to whitelist plus any additional domains you also wish to whitelist.
- Select Stop Processing more rules and then click save.
How to Whitelist Hotmail/Outlook.com:
Outlookdotcom is notorious for failed delivery of legitimate email.
You must add mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com to your “Safe List” as follows:
- First, if you find email from mewco.com in your Hotmail junk folder, open the email and click “Not Junk”
- Next, check to see if the mewco.com appears in the “Blocked Senders” list. If so, select it and click on the “Remove” button.
- Next, if you do not see your missing email in Junk, then click Settings
- At the bottom of Settings click “View all Outlook Settings”
- Go to Mail/Junk Email/Safe Senders and Domains”
- Copy and paste mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com where it says “+ Add”
- Click the “Return”, then add another.
- Repeat steps 6. and 7. for mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com or any other email you are not receiving
How to Whitelist Microsoft Outlook Desktop:
- On the Tools menu, click Options
- On the Preferences tab, click Junk E-mail
- On the Safe Senders tab, click Add
- Add mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com where it says, “Add address”.
- Add mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com in the same way.
- Click OK
How to Whitelist CenturyLink Email:
How can I make sure that messages from a specific e-mail address are not considered spam?
To open the product, double-click the product icon at the bottom right corner of your screen. To allow messages from specific e-mail addresses, follow the instructions below. You can also do this through the Spam Control menu button (in Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail), or by right clicking the system tray icon. You can add, edit or remove individual e-mail addresses or whole domains to your allowed senders list. For example, if you add *@example.com to your allowed senders list, all e-mail messages from the example.com domain are allowed.
To edit your list of trusted e-mail addresses:
- On the main page, click Settings.
- Select Internet > E-mail filtering.
- Click Allow senders. The Allow senders settings page opens.
Choose one of the following actions.
To add a new e-mail address:
- Click Add. The Add sender/domain dialog box opens.
- In the Address field, enter the e-mail address or domain name from which you want to allow e-mail messages. You can add a short description for the new address in the Description field.
- Click OK. The new e-mail address is now shown on your allowed senders list.
To edit an e-mail address:
- In the list, select the e-mail address you want to edit, and click Edit. The Edit sender/domain dialog box opens.
- Edit the selected e-mail address and click OK.
To remove an e-mail address from the allowed senders list:
- In the list, select the e-mail address you want to remove
- Select Remove. The e-mail address is removed from the list.
How to Whitelist McAfee SaaS Email / How to Whitelist MXLogic.net
When sending an email to a McAfee SaaS Email Protection client, the sender is receiving the bounce back message “554 Denied.”
The error message “554 Denied” means that we have rejected the message as spam. This is either due to the content of the message or the reputation of the sending IP address.
host domain.com.inbound15.mxlogic.net[220.127.116.11] said: 554 Denied (Mode:normal) (in reply to end of DATA command)
For McAfee SaaS Customers, please do one or more of the following:
- Place the sending domain on the User or Domain-Level allow list in the Control Console. For instructions on how to do this, please refer to Adding to Domain-level Sender Allow List.
- Send a copy of the message to SaaS_falsepositives@mcafeesubmissions.com. If the message was blocked, the sender can obtain a copy from their Sent Items folder. Messages to this address are not filtered for spam, and all submissions are accepted.
- Copy full Message Audit Details showing the 554 Denied response from the Control Console and supply this in an email with a subject of “False Positive” to SaaS_falsepositives@mcafeesubmissions.com.
- Open a service request with McAfee SaaS Technical Support so we may investigate the cause of this issue and possibly reset the filter that is causing messages to be denied.
For senders who are not McAfee SaaS Email Protection customers, please do one or more of the following:
- Contact the intended recipient and ask them to add the sending address or domain to their allow list.
- Contact the intended recipient and ask them to open a service request with McAfee SaaS Technical Support so that the message can be reviewed as a false positive.
- Send a copy of the message with the original headers to SaaS_falsepositives@mcafeesubmissions.com. Messages to this address are not filtered for spam, and all submissions are accepted.
How to Whitelist MimeCast:
How to Whitelist Mozilla Thunderbird:
You need to add us to your address book and set the Junk Mail Controls to whitelist your address book.
- First, check your Junk folder. If you find email from mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com, right-click on our email and choose “Mark as Not Junk”
- Next, click the “Address Book” button
- Highlight the Personal Address Book (left column)
- Click on “New Contact”
- In the “Contact” tab, set “Email” to mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com
- Set “Additional Email to mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com
- Click “Ok” and close the Address Book
- From the main Thunderbird menu, choose “Tools > Account Settings”
- For each email account, expand the settings and choose “Junk Settings” from the expanded account settings.
- Ensure “Personal Address Book” is checked under “Do not mark mail as junk if the sender is in:”
- Once you have done this for each email account, click OK
How to Whitelist BlackBerry:
- Scroll up to message from mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com
- Get to the field where their name is listed, click the Berry button and then click Show Address.
- Select and copy the email address to the clipboard.
- Go into Address Book and find the user.
- Select Save.
- Click to edit it, and then click the Berry button to add another email address.
- Paste it in and click Save
How to Whitelist Comcast Email:
- Sign into Webmail.
- On the left navigation menu, click Address Book.
- Click Add Contact.
- Under the General tab, in the box under the Email Address, enter mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com
- Repeat for mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com
- Click the Add button.
- If you have enabled “Restrict Incoming Email,” also do the following:
- Select Preferences.
- Select “Restrict Incoming Email”. If Enable Email Controls is set to Yes, then you are restricting incoming emails.
- Select Allow email from addresses listed below.
- Enter mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com
- Click the Add button.
- Repeat for mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com
How to Whitelist Earthlink Email:
- Click the Address Book button to open your address book in the browser.
- Click the Add Contact button (if you use EarthLink 5.0 or higher, click the Add button).
- Type in mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com into the email address slot and then click OK.
- Repeat for mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com
How to Whitelist Verizon.net Email:
- Go to your account and click on the Address Book link in the left column.
- Select Create Contact.
- The Add Address Book Entry screen appears. In the Email field, enter mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com
- In the Nickname field, type theWebalyst.com
- Select Save.
- Do the same for mewco.com and modernelectricwater.com
How to Whitelist Apple Mail / How to Whitelist OSX:
- First, if email from mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com ends up in your junk folder, highlight or open it and click “Not Junk” at the top of your screen.
- Go to “Mail” > “Preferences”
- Go to “Mail” > “Preferences” Go to the Rules tab
- Select Add Rule
- Give this rule a name such as “Email from mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com”
- Create a rule that says, “If any of the following conditions are met: ‘From’ ‘Contains’” and then paste in “modern.mewco.com”
- From the actions, select ‘Move message’ to mailbox ‘Inbox’.
- Click “OK”
How to Whitelist Postini Whitelist:
- Log into your Postini account
- Look the Junk area
- If you find email mewco.com or modernelectricwater.com check the checkbox to select the email
- Click the “Deliver Selected” link at the top of the Junk screen
- On the next screen, click the “Approve Sender” checkbox next to the email
- Click the “Approve Selected Senders” button
- Do the same for each email from modern.mewco.com
How to Whitelist Symantec:
This error indicates that your email was blocked as spam by our Signaturing anti-spam filter. Follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- If the problem persists, contact the recipient by other means and request that your email address be added to their Symantec.cloud approved senders list. Additionally, you can submit a legitimate email which has been incorrectly given a verdict of spam for analysis and filter review. See False positive submissions to submit a false positive message for analysis.
Whitelisting Email in Other Email Applications & Webmail Services
If you use a Web mail system or email application adding the “From” address to your “address book”, “safe list”, “whitelist” or “contact list” will usually work.
Also, check your “spam”, “bulk” or “junk” folder. If the email is there look for a way to indicate that it is not spam. For example, by selecting the email and clicking a button such as “Not Spam” or “Not Junk”.
When is my bill due?
Electric and water services are billed in arrears and due upon receipt. To accommodate our customers, a grace period is given of approximately 20 days from the billing date.
What is Modern’s Credit Policy?
The following is an overview of Modern Electric Water Company’s Credit Policy:
- If payment is not made by the statement’s grace period due date, Modern will print a reminder notice on the next billing statement and a late fee will be added to the previous balance.
- If the previous balance, plus the late fee, is not received, a final disconnection notice will be delivered to the customer’s door. This notice states the final payment due date, the amount owing including all past due fees, and the date service will be disconnected.
- If payment is not received before this final payment date, the electricity will be shut off without further notice or communication from Modern Electric Water Company. A service disconnection fee will be charged. When service is disconnected for non-payment, the past due amount, plus all late and reconnection fees, must be paid in full before service can be restored.
- Additional fees will apply: (a) reconnection during regular business hours (7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays); (b) reconnection after-hours; and (c) reconnection for service disconnected at the power pole.
Where can I pay my bill?
In Person: Cash, checks, money orders, and VISA, MasterCard or Discover credit or debit card payments are accepted at 904 North Pines Road, Spokane Valley, WA 99206. Lobby hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm (closed holidays); our Drive-thru is open for an additional half hour until 4:30 pm.
By Mail: Checks or money orders with your remittance stub may be sent to us via the United States Postal Service (USPS). Please mail your payment to PO Box 141107, Spokane Valley, WA 99214-1107.
Online at modernelectricwater.com: This payment option offers instant posting with no processing fees. Payment types accepted are E-Check, VISA, Discover, MasterCard credit card or debit cards.
By Phone: Telephone Customer Service hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed weekends and holidays). We can take VISA, MasterCard or Discover credit or debit card payments over the phone.
Payment Drop Box Locations: South side of headquarters, 904 North Pines Road • Rosauers: Sprague Avenue & University Road, Customer Service • Yoke’s Fresh Market (two locations): 9329 East Montgomery & 13014 East Sprague.
Your Financial Institution’s Online Bill-Pay Feature: Modern can accept third-party electronic payments sent from banks and credit unions. Please use your statement ID number as the payment reference.
How does Modern’s Automatic Payment Program work?
The Automatic Payment Program automatically deducts the exact amount of your payment from your checking or savings account 14 days after your billing date. Withdrawal dates may vary slightly from month-to-month. To enroll in the program, please have your account at a zero balance, complete and return an enrollment form with a voided check.
How do I get help paying my bill?
Please call Modern Electric Water Company’s Customer Service Center at (509) 928-4540, Extension 1, if you are having difficulty making your monthly payment. Additionally, the following agencies also offer payment assistance:
Spokane Neighborhood Action Program (SNAP), (509) 456-7110, distributes assistance funds during the heating season. Grants are based on income and family size. Contact SNAP for more information at www.snapwa.org
Modern Help or Modern Senior Help, (managed by Valley Partners), (509) 927-1153, funding is available for qualified Modern Electric Water Company customers.
Project Share, (509) 456-7110, assists with funds based upon income and family size. Project Share was established to provide emergency energy assistance to those not eligible for heating assistance or who have exhausted all other available energy assistance sources. Funding comes from contributions made by utility customers
Washington Information Network 211, call 211 for health and human service information and referrals. More information is available at win211.org
How do I donate to Project Share?
If you can help pay a bill for a household-in-crisis, please consider Project Share. Click here to givetoprojectshare.org Donations may also be included with your monthly payment made payable to MEWCO.
Why is my electric bill so high?
Close to half of our home’s electricity cost come from heating and cooling expenses for air and water. Extreme weather conditions can cause a major impact on your bill. If you are interested in an energy audit please call our partner in energy efficiency, Efficiency Services Group, at 1-888-883-9879.
Why does my residential water bill change twice a year?
Residential Water Meters are read and billed based on a valid reading twice a year between the months of April and October. Historically, water usage during the winter and spring months is low so the remaining ten months, your water usage is estimated based on a calculated 1,000-cubic feet times the current usage rate. During the two true up billing months when a valid reading is entered, any usage over the allotted monthly 1,000-cubic feet will be billed to your account. Any over-estimated usage age will be credited to your account. Additionally, your bill will list the Read Type as “Valid” instead of “Estimated”.
How do I apply for Budget Billing?
To apply, please verify that you fulfill the following criteria: 1. A minimum of one year as a resident at the current address. 2. Your May bill must be paid in full leaving a zero balance. 3. If renting, please have your landlord call our office to give enrollment approval. For more information, call our office at (509) 928-4540, Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4:30 pm.
When will my Budget Billing Charge Change?
The new budget monthly charge will be re-calculated based on consumption history for the previous 12 months each May.
Why do I have to pay for fish and wildlife funding?
Modern Electric Water Company purchases its power for Bonneville Power Administration. Included in your billing rates are mandated state and federal fees including funding to protect fish and wildlife.